Founder of Ocean Friendly Establishments Ginger Taylor recommends the following ways to reduce single-use plastic:
- Go Strawless. Skip the straw and say, “no straw please,” when ordering beverages. Bring your own reusable straw.
- Bring your own reusable bag when shopping, especially at the grocery store.
- Bring your own reusable water bottle or coffee mug.
- Bring your own reusable cutlery. Bamboo “to-go ware” cutlery is light weight and easy to carry in your purse.
- Bring your own reusable to-go containers when dining out, or ask the waitress if you can have a piece of aluminum foil to wrap leftover food and then wash and recycle the aluminum foil.
- If you take clothes to the dry cleaners, request they do not wrap in plastic bags.
- Shop in bulk and bring your own reusable containers.
- Shop at farmer’s markets and bring your own bags.
- Bring your own reusable produce bags when grocery shopping.
- Buy fresh produce when possible that is not in plastic packaging.
Like This Story?
It costs about $500 to produce this and all other stories on CRO. You can help pay some of the cost by sponsoring a day on CRO for as little as $100 or by donating any amount you're comfortable with. All sponsorships and donations are tax-deductible.