HARKERS ISLAND — Young minds thirsty for knowledge about their coastal environment can quench that thirst during Core Sound Waterfowl Museum and Heritage Center’s Water: Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead! summer camps.
There will be an emphasize on science, technology, engineering, art and math, or STEAM, during the camp where campers will experience fresh, brackish and marine water environments. Each day of the camp has a special theme and is filled with activities that help campers learn all about water, it’s makeup, behavior and importance for all lifeforms.
Camp for rising first- through third-graders is June 18-22 and for rising fourth- through sixth-graders, camp is June 25-29. Cost for each week is $50 per camper for museum members and $60 per camper for non-members.
Some of the camp’s highlights include the following:
- Monday: Welcome to “Our” Water World. Campers will learn about the museum and its role in water quality studies. Campers will also experience Willow Pond and find out more about its inhabitants.
- Tuesday: Something’s Fishy. Campers will take part in a variety of fish-themed activities including pier fishing, learning about the local seafood industry and making a fish print T-shirt.
- Wednesday: Wetland Wonders. Campers will experience the salt marsh and the communities that call it home plus study the role of wetlands and storm runoff.
- Thursday: Water World. Campers learn about the role of amphibians as indicator species for the health of area waters. They also will learn the physics behind water and how it can be manipulated.
- Friday: Surf & Sound: A Visit to Cape Lookout. The week will close out with a visit to the Cape Lookout National Seashore. Campers will get to climb the lighthouse, compete for collecting mole crabs in the ocean waves, do a photo scavenger hunt and much more.
To register for the camps, Contact Teresa Everett 252-728-1500 ext. 24.
Like This Story?
It costs about $500 to produce this and all other stories on CRO. You can help pay some of the cost by sponsoring a day on CRO for as little as $100 or by donating any amount you're comfortable with. All sponsorships and donations are tax-deductible.