State officials and the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Friday that the Craven County Board of Education has been approved for more than $4.1 million to reimburse Hurricane Florence-related costs.
The money approved through FEMA’s Public Assistance program will go to offset expenses from cleaning mold at the county’s elementary, middle and high schools that flooded during Hurricane Florence in 2018. The funding also goes toward costs related to using four county schools as shelters during the storm.
FEMA reimburses applicants at least 75% of eligible costs and the remaining 25% is covered by the state. FEMA’s share for this project is more than $3 million and the state’s share is more than $1 million.
FEMA’s Public Assistance, a cost-sharing program, provides grants to state and local governments and some private nonprofit organizations to reimburse the cost of debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent repair work. The federal share is paid directly to the state, which disburses the funds.
Craven County’s school board was approved for more than $5.3 million for Hurricane Florence-related expenses.
Like This Story?
It costs about $500 to produce this and all other stories on CRO. You can help pay some of the cost by sponsoring a day on CRO for as little as $100 or by donating any amount you're comfortable with. All sponsorships and donations are tax-deductible.