With the lifting Monday of entry restrictions for Ocracoke Island, North Carolina Department of Transportation’s Ferry Division is adjusting its Ocracoke-bound schedules to accommodate visitor traffic, the state agency announced Monday.
Though roads in Ocracoke Village are open and accessible, N.C. 12 north of the village is open only to four-wheel drive vehicles but expected to reopen to all traffic within a week.
The following are the ferry schedules starting Monday to and from Ocracoke:
- Ocracoke to Cedar Island: 7 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Cedar Island to Ocracoke: 6:30 and 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Ocracoke to Swan Quarter: 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Swan Quarter to Ocracoke: 10 a.m., noon and 4 p.m.
No tolls will be collected for the routes between Cedar Island, Swan Quarter and Ocracoke until N.C. 12 opens to all traffic. Reservations for these routes are highly recommended, and are available by calling 1-800-BY-FERRY.
The schedule for ferries between Ocracoke and Hatteras is as follows:
- Hatteras to Ocracoke-Silver Lake: 6 a.m. 11:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Ocracoke-Silver Lake to Hatteras: 8:45 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m.
- Hatteras to Ocracoke-South Dock (4WD only): 6:15 a.m. 9 a.m., 4:45 p.m., 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Ocracoke-South Dock-Hatteras (4WD only): 4:30 a.m., 7:30 and 10:15 a.m., 6 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Once N.C. 12 reopens to all traffic, the Hatteras-Ocracoke Silver Lake route will be discontinued, and the Hatteras-Ocracoke South Dock route will begin on the following schedule:
- Hatteras-Ocracoke: 5 a.m., 6 a.m., 8 a.m., 9 a.m., 11 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. 3 p.m. 5 p.m. 6 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 9 p.m. 10 p.m. and midnight.
- Ocracoke-Hatteras: 4:30 a.m., 6:30 a.m., 7:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6:15 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 10:30 p.m. and midnight.
Tolling will resume at the regular rates on routes between Cedar Island, Swan Quarter and Ocracoke once N.C. 12 is reopened to all traffic.
Like This Story?
It costs about $500 to produce this and all other stories on CRO. You can help pay some of the cost by sponsoring a day on CRO for as little as $100 or by donating any amount you're comfortable with. All sponsorships and donations are tax-deductible.