Topsail Beach will be reimbursed more than $2.5 million to cover the replacement of more than 312,000 cubic yards of beach sand following a damaging storm surge caused by the 2019 Hurricane Dorian.
Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA’s, total share for this project is more than $1.9 million and the state’s share is more than $640,000, according to the announcement Friday from the state and FEMA.
FEMA’s Public Assistance program provides grants for state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations to reimburse the cost of debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent repair work.
Public Assistance is a cost-sharing program. FEMA reimburses applicants at least 75% of eligible costs and the remaining 25% is covered by the state. The federal share is paid directly to the state to disburse to agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.
For more information on North Carolina’s recovery from Hurricane Dorian, visit FEMA.gov/Disaster/4465.
Like This Story?
It costs about $500 to produce this and all other stories on CRO. You can help pay some of the cost by sponsoring a day on CRO for as little as $100 or by donating any amount you're comfortable with. All sponsorships and donations are tax-deductible.